Syslog patch problem on Solaris 8?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jul 17 13:30:51 IST 2002

Are you using a recent version of MailScanner that sets the "setlogsock"
option? (search logger.pl for "setlogsock" to find out). If you aren't then
I suspect the Solaris patch has replaced the /etc/init.d/syslog script, and
has changed the command-line options to syslogd.

If you haven't got a recent enough version of MailScanner, then you will
need to remove the "-t" command-line option to syslogd:
      -t    Disable the syslogd UDP port to turn  off  logging  of
            remote messages.
You may need to enable the UDP port.

At 12:35 17/07/2002, you wrote:
>         We've just built a new server for a new domain and it looks like the
>latest syslogd patch (110945-06) may stop mailscanner logging to syslog.
>Can anyone else confirm this?
>
>         The symptoms are that sendmail logs as normal but mailscanner though
>running and processing normally, logs absolutely nothing.
>
>         We are using the perl (5.005_03) which comes with Solaris 8 and have
>used sucessfully on other servers. Backing out the syslogd patch appears
>to cure the problem.
>
>--
>Philip Craven
>Senior Systems Officer (UNIX)
>ICT Services, Academic Services
>London Guildhall University
>100 Minories, Tower Hill, London EC3N 1JY
>
>020 7320 3156

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ