SpamAssassin Hangup

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Mon Jul 15 14:33:20 IST 2002

Probably your best "first stab" is to get the email (or several emails) in
an otherwise plain text format (ie: from /var/spool/mail) and run
SpamAssassin from the command line:

spamassassin -tD < /var/spool/mail/mkettler

-t puts SpamAssassin in test mode, so the email is just piped through to
the console with some status info
-D turns on debug output.

This will let you watch which part of SA's evaluation is taking too long
and also see if it's complaining about any corrupted rules.

As some side notes:

The "MX check" is likely the longest part of a SA test. By default SA will
try 3 times, waiting 5 seconds each try, to perform the MX check, which
means any email without an MX for from will timeout under MailScanner
(MailScanner only gives SA 10 seconds to run). In any event MailScanner
should kill SpamAssassin after 10 seconds by default and log a message that
it timed out.

Also how did you turn off the DNS Blacklist checks in SA? (just a
side-check to make sure you really did turn them off)