Beta testers urgently wanted

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Jul 14 21:09:47 IST 2002

Hi folks!

I'm preparing a new version for release, but there's a few things in it
that are difficult for me to test thoroughly. As you can see below, I've
done some testing on most of it, but would like a few other people to try
it. A particular area of interest is the "spam@*" style wildcards which are
now supported in every conf file that could handle wildcard domain names.

So if you are particularly interested in any of the following, please give
me a shout and I'll send you the latest code.

Features:

"Spam White List" (tested) configuration option now gives a filename whose
contents are checked against both the sender's address and the recipients'
addresses.
"Max Spam List Timeouts" (tested) configuration value gives the threshold
for the number of consecutive times a single "Spam List" or "Spam Domain"
entry can timeout before it is removed from the list of places to be
checked. It will be restored to the list at the next restart (every 4 hours
by default).
"Max SpamAssassin Timeouts" (tested) configuration value works the same way
as "Max Spam List Timeouts" except it applies to SpamAssassin instead.
"Hide Incoming Work Dir" (tested) configuration option allows you to hide
the full directory pathname from the messages sent to users.

Improvements:

Old core files are now deleted from the virus scanning work directory to
speed up scanning if something dumps core in there.
MailScanner RedHat RPM init.d script extended to allow use of make within
/etc/mail.
If RBL checks time out then error message logged says which DNSBL timed out.
(Not tested -- V.Important) All conf files that accept wildcards like
"*.soton.ac.uk" now also accept wildcards like "abuse@*".

Fixes:

Changed assumed installation directory for RAV to /usr/local/rav8/bin which
is where RAV 8.x puts it.
High scoring spam messages are now logged.
F-Prot autoupdate script now copes better with stray ^M characters.
F-Prot autoupdate script fixed in line with fixed shell script from F-Prot
(my script is better than theirs as it ensures no scanning will take place
while the virus defs are being updated).

Thanks a lot!
Jules.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ