Cobalt Mailscanner/F-Prot PKG

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jul 11 18:51:10 IST 2002

This worries me.

Please can you produce proof that you have permission to
distribute F-Prot for free. I do not want my name associated with anything
like this that is "legally dubious" which this most definitely sounds.

Install other stuff, fine, there aren't any licence issues there, but I do
not like the idea of anyone distributing F-Prot without written (on paper)
approval from the F-Prot owners and their lawyers.

Please can you confirm this, or else please stop distributing this
immediately.

The F-Prot owners are currently being very friendly and
helpful, I do *not* want to upset them....

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Jonothon Ortiz wrote:

> Apologies if this is a dupe =)
>
> steve at bassi.com sayeth:
>
> I have created a pkg for the RAQ3 and 4 using mailscanner and F-Prot.
>
> What the package does, is intall the mailscanner and F -Prot files and
> updates the virus definitions automatically, and emails postmaster at your
> domain.com , when the definitions are updated.
>
> It also installs/upgrades unzip latest version, which is required for the
> virus definitions.
>
> After installing the above files , I back up syslog and amend it so that
> syslog starts with "daemon syslogd -r -m 0" instead of "daemon syslogd -m 0"
>
> Before using the pkg, please see http://www.f-prot.com/products/fplin.html
> to ensure your situation qualifies to use F-Prot free of charge.
>
> If you are using your RAQ commerically, then there would be a license fee
> payable to Frisk for their virus definitions.
>
> I have asked Frisk to consider making a special rate for RAQ owners using
> their definitions in a commercial environment.
>
> Please be honest and do not use the pkg's if you use your RAQ commerically.
>
> You may obtain more information regarding MailScanner from the authors
> website on http://www.mailscanner.info
>
> Ok .. heres the pkg's
>
> http://www.firstwebspace.com/raq/RAQ3-Bassi-MailScanner-3.21-1.pkg
>
> http://www.firstwebspace.com/raq/RaQ4-Bassi-MailScanner-3.21-1.pkg