Logger.pl in 3.15

Nick Phillips nwp at LEMON-COMPUTING.COM
Thu Jul 11 02:32:25 IST 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 08:38:35PM +0100, Bruce Huang wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am not sure if this problem is been solved.  I just upgarded from v.3.14
> to V3.21 with Perl 5.6.0 build for sun4-solaris, and get the same error.
> The turn around way is as Sergio's suggestion.  Any idea or suggestion?

Commenting out the eval containing the setlogsock will do no harm at all;
it will just revert to the previous behaviour of logging via UDP rather
than a local socket. This is only a problem if it means that you then need
to enable syslog to accept remote log messages on a system that is not
protected from DoS attacks on syslog (filling up your disk with spurious
log messages).

The eval was intended to catch any problems on systems where setlogsock
wouldn't work, but if mailscanner is keeling over at that point then evidently
all is not quite according to plan.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com