Cobalt RaQ - Can virus scanning be enabled only on selected V irtual Domain?

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Thu Jan 31 11:32:11 GMT 2002

** This would probably suit us *if* we had to start separating out any
** of the 40+ domains for which our Mail Hubs host mail. However in our
** case we want to filter *all* mail irrespective of domain.

> >Has anyone (Jules ;P) given any thought to an option to allow you to
> >run Mailscanner as a local delivery agent (or perhaps more
> correctly as
> >a wrapper around an existing local delivery agent)?
>
> If you want to crank up a big binary like Perl every time you
> run a delivery agent, then use amavis :-) This design
> difference is one of the major reasons that MailScanner is so
> much less load on your system than Avamis.

** Another issue to consider is that
** in sendmail there are two basic types of delivery agent;
** external ones like /bin/mail and internal ones like IPC. The latter
** is used internally within sendmail to communicate over TCP/IP
networks.
** The former you could probably put a wrapper round but the IPC ones
** you cannot; almost all of our non-local domain hosting is actually
** delivered by the IPC delivery agent rather than a local program.
There
** are probably kludges you could use to work around this but at the
cost
** of more CPU and less reliability and transparency in delivery
methods.

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Computing Service, University of Newcastle
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.