Cobalt RaQ - Can virus scanning be enabled only on selected V irtual Domain?

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 11:05:32 GMT 2002

At 10:44 31/01/2002, you wrote:
>The scanning of email (or not) based upon sender/recipient domains etc
>is a feature which has been talked about extensively but not yet
>implemented.  Feelings are mixed about it.

I haven't had time to write it yet. It's on the list though.
Different people have asked for different things, some of which are far
easier to write than others. For now, I'm tempted to go with the easiest
solution from my point of view, as it's more likely to get written (at all)
that way. Make me do it the hard way and you may never see it at all...

So what I'm proposing is just a file which lists domains for which you scan
mail. If it sees any of these domains in the envelope to or from address,
then it scans the message. If it doesn't scan it, it will add something
like a "X-MailScanner: not scanned" header to advertise to your users that
they want to pay you to get their mail scanned.

Would this do?

>Has anyone (Jules ;P) given any thought to an option to allow you to
>run Mailscanner as a local delivery agent (or perhaps more correctly
>as a wrapper around an existing local delivery agent)?

If you want to crank up a big binary like Perl every time you run a
delivery agent, then use amavis :-)
This design difference is one of the major reasons that MailScanner is so
much less load on your system than Avamis.

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ