mailscanner-3.04.1 adds ^M at end of line

Nick Phillips nwp at LEMON-COMPUTING.COM
Tue Jan 29 12:12:27 GMT 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:24:06PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:

> > Maybe it's a non-fatal example of the kind of memory corruption that causes
> > the segfaults?
>
> I got a mail from Julian, that he could reproduce it.

Apparently not; he just got a message from you that had obviously been through
it at your end. The messages I had from you just now had lots of extra ^Ms,
too.

But there's absolutely nowhere that we can see that this should happen.

Could you try setting $\ = ""  in the "WriteHeaderFile" function
in sendmail.pl, like this:

# Write a fake email header file for the given message id.
sub WriteHeaderFile {
  my($OutDir, $id, $RHeaders) = @_;
  my $Header = new FileHandle;

  Lock::openlock($Header, ">$OutDir/$id.header", "w")
    or Log::DieLog("Cannot create + lock headers file $OutDir / $id.header, %s", $!);
# if debugging not desired
#  print $Header @$RHeaders;
# if debugging desired

  $\ = "";

  foreach(@$RHeaders) {
    #Log::DebugLog("Output header ($_)\n");
    print $Header $_;
  }
  print $Header "\n";
  Lock::unlockclose($Header);
}

...and see whether that helps.

> Versions of packages mailscanner depends on:
> ii  exim                          3.34-1     Exim Mailer
> ii  libio-stringy-perl            2.108-1    Perl5 modules for IO from scalars
> ii  libmailtools-perl             1.42-2     Manipulate email in perl programs
> ii  libmime-base64-perl           2.12-4     MIME/Base64 decoding for Perl
> ii  libmime-perl                  5.411-1    Perl5 modules for MIME-compliant m
> ii  perl                          5.6.1-7    Larry Wall's Practical Extraction
> ii  tnef                          1.1.1-0.1  Tool to unpack MIME application/ms

If it's the random memory corruption thing, then it'd work with 5.005 - is
it possible to have both perls installed at once? I can't remember.

I think we need to persuade a perl guru that they need to run mailscanner -
perl 5.6 just fails too often. If they need something to expose all their
bugs, this is it.

Cheers,

Nick
Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com