Sign Clean Messages = yes

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 29 09:50:02 GMT 2002

At 09:36 29/01/2002, you wrote:
>I'm not that familiar with the proper RFCs, so I am not sure if the header is
>mandatory or optional.

According to the Bat book:
The header should be added by the final delivery agent, i.e. the sendmail
process that puts the message into the user's mailbox file, and is a copy
of the "from" part of the message envelope. Any previous content in the
header should not be relied upon. So it should be added by the final
delivery stage (there's a delivery agent "P" flag to control it) which is
after MailScanner has finished handling the message anyway. So your
Return-Path headers are being added at the wrong stage in the delivery
process, which makes this a sendmail problem.

But the behaviour you are seeing is performed by MIME-Tools, so I suggest
you try a more recent version of that package to see if the behaviour has
changed at all.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ