EMERGENCY: MyParty

Michael Chaney mdchaney at MICHAELCHANEY.COM
Mon Jan 28 19:55:06 GMT 2002

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 06:18:57PM +0000, Julian Field wrote:
> It's not a proper attachment, it's just uuencoded data stuffed in-line in
> the main body of the (plain text) message. There are no MIME headers at
> all, or anything. It's just in-line data, which apparently some email
> clients appear to identify, decode, and present like an attachment.

Which makes perfect sense.  I've been downloading uuencoded goodies for
years from usenet, and posted a few myself (back in the pre-spam,
pre-www days).  MIME wasn't around back then.

It seems to me that it would make sense to pass the message body into
"DefinitelyClean" and simply check for a uuencoded file, which would be
a simple regex and would surely be quicker than scanning all files.  The
logic would be:

if mime header return 0;
if uuencoded file in body return 0;
return 1;

That shouldn't require too much more horsepower.

Michael
--
Michael Darrin Chaney
mdchaney at michaelchaney.com