Delivery Method.

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 24 21:19:02 GMT 2002

Kelly,

At 20:25 24/01/2002, you wrote:
>I had about 900 messages in my mqueue.in dir, i was starting to panic, this
>is the first day in a live prodcution enviroment. Im running spamassassin
>2.0 with this also. Are you using spamassasin?
>i restarted with QUEUE to see if it works better than batch

Try
1) Using "batch" but setting "deliver in background = yes".
2) Try switching off SpamAssassin, I'm not sure how much extra load it adds.
3) Try leaving on SpamAssassin, but setting its "skip_rbl_checks" to
true/yes in /.spamassassin/user_prefs (in SA 2.0).

I haven't tried running SpamAssassin on a server with a volume as high as
75k per day, it might be adding too much load. Try each of the above 3
suggestions in turn, keeping an eye on the load and queue length with each
change.

I would be interested to hear your results.

You shouldn't need "-q1m" together with "batch", something like "-q15m"
should do fine. "batch" mode makes sendmail do 1 delivery attempt
immediately on each message anyway, and adding queue runs every 1 minute
will only push the load up without actually achieving very much. I would
only try frequent queue runs with "delivery mode = queue", not with
"batch". Don't bother with "individual", it's mainly there for backwards
compatibility (it's the first mode I implemented and I didn't see any point
removing it for the sake of it).

Also read the Installation FAQ for a note or two on high-volume servers.

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ