ANNOUNCE: Version 3.03-1 released

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jan 18 10:00:40 GMT 2002

At 09:37 18/01/2002, you wrote:
>- The RPM installs into /usr/local/MailScanner and references
>/usr/local/Sophos, but some script files (check_mailscanner.* and
>config.pl) refer to /opt/mailscanner and /opt/sophos.

The script check_mailscanner refers to /usr/local/MailScanner, which is
correct. I happen to ship the Solaris version of check_mailscanner too, but
it's not used.

config.pl can refer to wherever it likes as this is over-ridden by the
mailscanner.conf file anyway.

>- The default scanner now is sophos, but unpacking tnef is still on.

That is intentional, to protect people from themselves. It doesn't do any
harm if they use Sophos with tnef unpacking on, but it does a lot of harm
if they use some other virus checker and leave tnef checking turned off.

>- The RPM recompiles and installs the perl modules every time. I'd prefer
>standalone RPMs for that, like mailscanner-File-Spec-*.i386.rpm, or at
>least a check for an existing version.

Your preference...

>- Modified config files get clobbered without backup or warning.

The mailscanner.conf file is marked as a config file in the RPM spec (check
on the web site if you don't believe me, the SPEC file is there for
download), and your old mailscanner.conf file should be saved as
mailscanner.conf.rpmsave when you upgrade to the new version. Sorry, this
is how RPM does it, not under my control.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ