SpamAssassin, how do I know that it's working

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 15 17:04:45 GMT 2002

At 16:49 15/01/2002, you wrote:
>I've installed Mailscanner with Mcafee and its working great, however None of
>the emails are ever tagged as being checked for spam.
>
>are the headers only changed if they are spam?

Yes.

>How can I test it?

Send yourself the SpamAssassin sample-spam file. Alternatively, crank down
the "required_hits" in ~root/.spamassassin.cf and restart MailScanner. Then
send yourself virtually any mail that even remotely looks like spam, and it
should trigger it.

>all the tests passed and I'm using spamassassin 2.0, I was using 1.5 and I
>didn't see a difference.

I haven't tried 2.0 as it's still in development.

>and also do I have to start spamassassin, or does mailscanner take care of
>that for me?

MailScanner takes care of all of that for you. I trust you have enabled
SpamAssassin in mailscanner.conf...
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ