Sophos update - note

Matt Kaminer matt at kaminer.com
Fri Jan 11 16:03:11 GMT 2002

Hi everyone:

Here is a little interesting issue regarding autoupdate and Sophos you
should be aware of.

Autoupdate checks the version (max,min) of Sophos from the sophos
executable in order to get the correct file name to download from the
sophos website. (its currently 3.54 I think).

So if you are running an older version of the Sohphos executable (more than
three months -- they update it every three months), autoupdate will not
locate the most recent virus file to download (since 3.50 is no longer on
the website).  You will get a "lynx error"

Its a little quirk.  I didnt realize it until I upgraded to mailscanner
3.0  I guess its a good lesson to keep your sophos executable version
updated.

-Matt