Commercial virus checker failed ...

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 9 16:20:56 GMT 2002

At 16:10 09/01/2002, you wrote:
>On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Mike Rylander wrote:
> > Or rather
> >
> >    Sweep = f-prot, /some/path/to/wrapper
> >    Sweep = sophos, /another/path/to/wrapper
> >    Sweep = mcafee, /some/other/path/to/wrapper
>
>But that conflicts with the current Sweep config variable which would give
>folks the opportunity to set it the old way thinking nothing was changed.
> From what I can recall, there aren't any config parameters that are
>repeatedable currently, so the config reader may puke on it too.

The "Spam List" is repeatable already. The above would work, with any
"Sweep" definition that doesn't contain a comma being the default value
(for backward compatibility). The docs would be changed to reflect the new
syntax.

The only problem with it is explaining it in the docs in such a way that it
doesn't confuse users who are "hard of understanding" or "hard of reading"
which includes quite a lot of people, unfortunately (I'm not being
patronising here, just you should see some of the queries I get in my
mail!). I guess I could supply a sample mailscanner.conf which includes
definitions for all of them, so all the user has to do is possibly tweak
one of the lines leaving the rest untouched.

Still not sure though, my original comma-separated list has a certain nice
simplicity to it, and it's far easier to explain in the docs as it is such
a simple solution.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ