Commercial virus checker failed ...

Christopher Hicks chicks at CHICKS.NET
Wed Jan 9 12:21:53 GMT 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Nick Phillips wrote:

> That you have two separate lists which must be kept in the same order.
> The consequences of getting it wrong might be that each scanner's
> output gets parsed by a parser intended for the other, and as a
> result, both fail to recognise the infection reports, and pass a
> message as OK.
>
> Which would be Bad.

Ah.  Why not make "Virus Scanner" comma-delimited as Julian proposed and
replace Sweep with
        Sweep Sophos = /some/path/to/wrapper
        Sweep Mcafee = /some/path/to/wrapper
        Sweep Fprot = /some/path/to/wrapper
?

> > I'd been wondering anyway, is the plan for it to run all of them
> > regardless?  Stop after one finds a virus?  What?
>
> I haven't looked at what Jules has done yet, but I'd guess that it'd
> just carry on and add all the reports that it gets one after another.

That's what I was hoping for.

--
</chris>

Neither sweat, nor blood, nor frustration, or lousy manuals
nor missing parts, or wrong parts shall keep me from my task.