AV Software licensing policy

Paul Welsh paul-w at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Wed Jan 9 11:48:35 GMT 2002

I'm using the currently beta (and therefore free) F-Prot AV software on a
single server hosting multiple domains.  Presumably F-Prot won't be beta
(and therefore free) forever though.  I contacted Frisk to enquire as to how
long it was likely to be beta for and they said they didn't know, nor had
they established pricing for the non-beta product.

I know from purchasing AV software for MailSweeper running on NT that most
AV vendors specify you buy a licence for each user that's protected, rather
than a  licence for each physical mail server.  I know that is the Sophos
policy.  Does anyone know whether any of the licensing and pricing policies
of the other supported scanners, namely:

"mcafee"    from www.mcafee.com
"command"   from www.command.co.uk
"kaspersky" from www.kaspersky.com
"inoculate" from www.cai.com/products/inoculateit.htm