mailscanner dying

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WITTSEND.COM
Mon Jan 7 13:56:59 GMT 2002

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 08:01:22AM +0000, Paal Hagerup wrote:
> I have the same problem. The MailScanner dies, each time
> leaving a new dfg* and zero sized tfg* in mqueue. Running i debug mode
> the scanner dies without any error message. This is with f-prot and
> RedHat 7.2.

        Suplimenting my own report, I also see the empty tf* files.
Of course, the df* files are data files (third char is part of the
sequence/ID for Sendmail).  OTOH...  I'm currently using Sophos,
instead of f-prot, although I have both on the system.

> If you want access to the machine just send me an email.

> Paal Hagerup

> Julian Field wrote:
>
> >If someone is prepared to give me login and root access on one of these
> >machines where MailScanner is dying, I can do some investigations. But
> >without that, I just can't reproduce the problem :-(

        At this point, mailscanner has not died on me in the last 72
hours.  Next time it dies, I'm likely to take a snapshot of the queues
before restarting it.

> >Any offers please?

> >At 06:21 07/01/2002, you wrote:
> >
> >>I am getting a similar result. The mailscanner perl task just vanishes.
> >>It was occuring on plaintext emails (that aren't scanned) and ones with
> >>attachments (scanned with innoculate). The innoculate part works fine.
> >>under Debug=1, I ran the
> >>/usr/local/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner.linux
> >>directly, and saw a few segfaults in line 50, which is the close if I
> >>think, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
> >

> >>This is perl, v5.6.0 built for i386-linux
> >

> >This is exactly the same version I am running, but under RedHat 7.1
> >instead
> >of your 7.2
> >--
> >Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
> >jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
> >Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
> >                            Southampton SO17 1BJ

        Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/