Can't get spam checking working?

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Jan 6 12:06:18 GMT 2002

At 03:52 06/01/2002, you wrote:
>Hmmm, I think that I mis-understood what would be displayed when spam
>wasn't detected.  I thought that there would be a header line (like when
>the message is scanned for virus') added in every message not just the
>spam messages.

No, only just in actual spam. It doesn't say anything when it hasn't got
anything to say :-)

>However, I have another problem :(.  The new version of mailscanner seems
>to stop working after a short time.  I've gone back to version 2.6 and am
>using spamassassin in procmailrc.  That works fine while I try and figger
>out what is going wrong.
>I've completely removed mailscanner and re-installed several times but it
>hasn't fixed anything so I'll have to dig deeper.  It doesn't seem to
>matter whether I have spam detection turned on or not.  After a short time
>emails just aren't sent or delivered.  It looks like they just sit in the
>queue waiting.

At this point is the mailscanner process still running? What's the last few
mailscanner lines in your maillog when this happens?

You may well need to upgrade your version of Perl, a few people are seeing
Perl core-dump due to internal bugs in Perl itself.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ