Can't get spam checking working?

Scott Farrell sfarrell at ICCONSULTING.COM.AU
Sat Jan 5 05:11:21 GMT 2002

what version of spamassassin are you using - 1.5 seems to be supported
(1.3 didnt connect with mailscanner)

did you compile spammassion from source, or did you use one of the rpms?

I would suggest compile from source - as the rpm's ar 686 and 586 - and
not 486.

do you get any errors on startup of mailscanner - I had to upgrade to 1.5
to get rid of library problems.

regards
Scott Farrell

http://www.icconsulting.com.au
ic Consulting - the people that make eBusiness happen.
We offer e-business consulting and perform services. We deliver high
impact consulting, and fast turn around projects for our clients.
Ask us about Web Content Management,  Web Self Service, or working closer
with your customers or suppliers.

0412 927 156,   02 9411 3622  mailto:sfarrell at icconsulting.com.au

Gerry Doris <gerry at DORFAM.CA>
Sent by: MailScanner mailing list <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
05/01/2002 01:32 PM
Please respond to MailScanner mailing list

        To:     MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Can't get spam checking working?
Well, I've been having all kinds of problems trying to get spam detection
working in MailScanner.  I eventually messed up everything so badly that I
went back to the 2.6 version and started again.

On my system I have been totally unable to get any kind of internal spam
screening running with either the 2.6 or the 3.0 versions.  Watching top I
can see that sendmail and mailscanner run but spamassassin is never
executed by mailscanner.  Even without using spamassassin mailscanner
doesn't tag any emails no matter what they contain.  However, when I
enable spamassassin using procmail it runs perfectly.

I have bounced mail off external mail servers for testing.  It doesn't
matter what I send to myself it is never flagged by mailscanner's internal
spam detection.  I have commented out the MAPS-RBL+ site and only have
ORDB enabled.

I am using an old but functional 486 system to play with this.  Could it
be that the mailscanner spam code isn't compatible with a 486 cpu?

By the way, this isn't a big deal as I only have a home network with four
systems and three users including me!  I just want to see if I can get it
to work!!!

Gerry

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Julian Field wrote:

> At 21:07 04/01/2002, you wrote:
> >I have never seen any indication that spam checking is operational with
my
> >install of mailscanner.  That includes the 2.6 version as well as the
new
> >3.01 version.  The virus checking certainly works as it picked up a
virus
> >just last night.
> >
> >I installed spamassassin yesterday and it also doesn't seem to be
called
> >by mailscanner...at least there is no header being added regarding spam
> >hits.  On the other hand when I activate spamassassin in my procmailrc
> >file it does add the spam headers.
> >
> >I have edited the mailscanner.conf file turning on all spam options.
I'm
> >now at a loss of where to go from here??
>
> You should just get the X-MailScanner-SpamCheck: header, none of the
other
> SpamAssassin headers will appear. Try sending the SpamAssassin sample
spam
> message through it, that should show you.
>
> What RBL's are you using? the MAPS-RBL+ is only available to JANET sites
> unless you pay MAPS yourself, and the only other one I have left in is
ORDB

--
"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne" Chaucer