RBL checking

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 28 16:46:01 GMT 2002

At 16:35 28/02/2002, you wrote:
>Julian, if Mailscanner does an RBL check does it still pass the message
>off to SpamAssassin in which case it's checked again along with
>content?  Or is it just tagged and send on?  Our queues got really large
>last night and I've had to disable SA checking until they clear out.  I
>was wondering if RBL checking was happening in both mailscanner and sa on
>the same message.

I have my SpamAssassin user_prefs file say
skip_rbl_checks 1
which fixes it.

>Also what is mailcanner using for the reverse dns lookups if it doesn't
>use net:dns module like SA does?  Just wondering if the SA guys could use
>the same process and ditch net::dns.

I just use gethostbyname(). Seems fast in some tests I've been doing this
afternoon. I was thinking about starting to use Net::DNS (as it can do DNS
lookups in background), but the time taken to do it with gethostbyname()
just wasn't worth trying to optimise. The real delay was all the processing
the SpamAssassin does, not the DNS lookups.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ