GNU / Linux based Anti Virus Software!

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Feb 16 13:33:22 GMT 2002

At 18:20 15/02/2002, you wrote:
>Is MailScanner planning to get OpenAntiVirus to work as one for the
>scanners?

At some point, yes. However, I don't think it is urgent as I don't really
believe that many large sites will trust their anti-virus support to an
open-source project with voluntarily-supplied updates. The crucial bit in
virus support these days is that you can get updates for your package
within a few hours of a virus being seen in the wild for the first time,
and I don't really believe that a voluntary project can achieve the sort of
speed you can manage by paying people to sit there all day writing virus
updates.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ