Spamassassin Timeout!

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Wed Feb 6 10:10:23 GMT 2002

Martin

If you look at the README file that comes with SpamAssassin it explains
that  several tests in the SpamAssassin configuration file are turned
off by default. These tests include the MAPS RBL, RSS and DUL stuff.
They are disabled by having a score of zero in the
/usr/local/share/spamassassin/50_scores.cf file we have at our site.

To enable these tests you give them a non-zero score and the README file
suggests values to use.

You can disable other SpamAssassin tests by putting a "#" symbol at the
start of the line in the appropriate SpamAssassin configuration file
thus turning the test into a comment.

The MAPS tests are disabled by default (in both SpamAssassin and
MailScanner) because they are commercial services for which institutions
like ours have to pay.

Note, however, that UK academic sites have free access to the JANET
negotiated RBL+ facility at rbl-plus.mail-abuse.ja.net. It is this site
that I have specified on the "Spam List = MAPS-RBL+" line in
mailscanner.conf.

The MAPS-RBL+ test in MailScanner is working for us and any spam
detected this way by MailScanner has the header
my personal mail filter and detect 3-6 spam messages a day.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Computing Service, University of Newcastle
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.
"Any opinion expressed above is mine. The University can get its own."