Spamassassin Timeout!

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Fri Feb 1 07:56:53 GMT 2002

Paul

Looks like you have enabled the RBL rules in SpamAssassin that require
lookups on the Internet and you are suffering from slow responses from
the DNS.

That happened at this site so I initially increased the SpamAssassin
timeout (within the mailscanner.conf) to 20 seconds from 10 but that is
unworkable long term on a busy site like ours. In the end I disabled the
RBL checks and reduced the timeout to the default again and removed the
Net::DNS stuff I had installed.

Note that you can do RBL checking within MailScanner so do not have to
do it within SpamAssasin. The RBL checking within MailScanner seems to
work well since it uses the system DNS resolver rather than Net::DNS.
However you lose the MX lookup check as well as the Razor check in
SpamAssain if you remove Net::DNS.

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Computing Service, University of Newcastle
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.
"Any opinion expressed above is mine. The University can get its own."