Two questions.

Gavin Nelmes-Crocker gavin at NETERGY.COM
Tue Dec 31 12:00:07 GMT 2002

> Hi,
> Here are my questions:
> (1) Is it possible to run the mail scanner from the command line ?
> I have one email message in a file and I want to run the
> MailScanner over it.
> May I pipe the message file to the MailScanner ?
> If the answer is yes, what happens if a virus is found in the message ?
>
> (2) Is there any free virus engine ?
>
> Happy new year :-)
> - ---

I can't help you on the first question but with the second we have been getting quite good results with Clam AV http://clamav.elektrapro.com after some initial problems with the antiviral database that meant most viruses were getting through it has gone smoothly since.  Version .54 seems very stable and works with MailScanner is currently listed as unsupported as far as the codebase is concerned so you need to edit the last bit of your MailScanner.conf file.  Also you need to change the path in the 2 files for Clam in /usr/lib/MailScanner from /usr/local/bin to /usr/bin (Julian has fixed this in the next release)

I think it would be fair to say that a free virus scanner is not going to have the same backing or exposure as a commercial one and I would be wary of using only this for my mail but take a look at f-prot or RAV as they both do server licensing and very reasonable.

Hope this helps

Regards

Gavin

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content
by the Netergy Virus Spam Defence, and is believed to be clean.
For details on having your email scanned email nvsd at netergy.com