Old virus not detected W97M/Verlor.gen

Remco Barendse mailscanner at BARENDSE.TO
Fri Dec 27 21:42:07 GMT 2002

One of my users received a Word document which contained the
W97M/Verlor.gen virus.

Mailscanner signed the message as if it was clean and let it through.

I use McAfee virusscan for both MailScanner and virus checks on my
filesystem. If I save the word document McAfee correctly finds and
identifies the virus.

Could there be a bug in MailScanner that would let .doc files through
without actually being scanned?

According to the maillog the message was scanned :
Dec 27 16:39:06 raveon MailScanner[9256]: New Batch: Scanning 1 messages,
59593
bytes
Dec 27 16:39:06 raveon MailScanner[9256]: Virus and Content Scanning:
Starting
Dec 27 16:39:06 raveon MailScanner[9256]: Uninfected: Delivered 1 messages

I'm running mailscanner-4.10-1 on a RedHat 8.0 box

believed to be clean.