Confused about Queues

Spicer, Kevin KevinS at BMRB.CO.UK
Fri Dec 20 14:59:29 GMT 2002

clientmqueue is specified in /etc/mail/submit.cf (on Mandrake  & I guess the same on RedHat) this cf file is used by the sm-client submission service (another sendmail service), which I believe is used by local programs to add mail to the mailqueue.  Check how many sendmail processes you have running (you may have many, depending on your load - but only two should have a PPID of 1).  Maybe you didn't chkconfig sendmail off?

You can tell if the messages in the queue have been scanned by looking for X-MailScanner: headers in the qf files in the clientmqueue.