SpamCop v Osirusoft testing results - recent problem with osirusoft?

Paul Welsh paul at ESPMAIL.CO.UK
Wed Dec 18 10:38:25 GMT 2002

I've been testing the various RBL services to see whether it's worth relying
on SpamCop and Osirusoft.

I've been testing for a few weeks.  Only 50 users.  I've been using
MailSweeper and MailScanner/SpamAssassin.  Anyhow, I tracked the number of
messages tagged by various RBLs.  Here are the results:

Friday 6/12 am to Friday 13/12 am, Total 605
RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 472
RCVD_IN_OSIRUSOFT_COM 369
X_OSIRU_DUL_FH 9
RCVD_IN_RELAYS_ORDB_ORG 6
RCVD_IN_DSBL 84

We got a handful of false alarms, but what I did was to redirect spam to
public folders rather than individual mailboxes, so users can still check
for incorrectly identified spam at their convenience.

It seems SpamCop and Osirusoft aren't a million miles apart.  SpamCop isn't
free though.

Since Friday 13/12, however, there seems to have been a problem with
Osirusoft, because the results since then are:

Wed 19/12 10.14am, Total 407
RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 324
RCVD_IN_OSIRUSOFT_COM 193
X_OSIRU_DUL_FH 3