Max SpamAssassin Size question

Dale Lovelace dlovelace at HOTELS.COM
Tue Dec 17 21:21:34 GMT 2002

  Yes, if I have mails that big that are spam I will probably take some
kind of action, but this action is the VP that is directly over me
seeing those nifty headers I told him he could look at saying "(Message
larger than max testing size)". He needs a warm fuzzy SpamAssassin
feeling...

  Besides, I have a 4 processor 2.4ghz machine with 1.5 gigs of ram, 3
36 gig 10000 RPM drives in a Raid 5 on a Perc controller, and gigabit
Ethernet coming from multiple T3 lines :-)

  Dale Lovelace
  System Administrator
  hotels.com
  (214) 361-7311 Ext. 1074

I've
> received some "large" ones, which have embedded images and such, but
>10MB
> is pretty insane.
>
>   It's also quite unlikely that a real spammer would send such a mail,
> since it would take longer for them to send it and increase the
chances of
> their mail being shut down before the thousands (or millions) of
copies of
> the email could be delivered. Even on a 45mbit/sec T3, that's about 2
> seconds of full-wire-speed per email to be delivered. Such things
don't go
> un-noticed if there's a lot of them. Even a mere 10,000 email
exchanges
> would take 5 hours to complete. If my mailserver was chewing up that
much
> bandwidth, for that long, you can be sure it would be a giant red
flag.

> >>   How can I scan all messages no matter what the size?
> >
> >Only by setting a very large max limit.
> >--
> >Julian Field
> >www.MailScanner.info
> >MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support

.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses