OT: /etc/aliases

Sylvain Phaneuf sylvain.phaneuf at IMSU.OXFORD.AC.UK
Mon Dec 16 15:09:32 GMT 2002

sorry to be so ignorant... where would I create this virtusertable file?  in /etc/mail ?

Sylvain

>>> mbowman at UDCOM.COM 16/12/2002 15:01:54 >>>
Greetings

If a user was on a local domain (for example an ex-employee) you could set
this up in /etc/mail/aliases

fred:     fred at aol.com

Save the changes then type newaliases -v

If it was a different domain. virtusertable is the answer

fred at abc.com   fred at aol.com
or
for an entire domain
@abc.com  @aol.com

HTH

Regards,

Matthew K Bowman,
Systems Administrator; Hostmaster; Miva Administrator
Universal Digital Communications, Mansfield Ohio.
Tel: (419) 524-4330
Fax: (419) 522-4082
Cell: (419) 545-6376
Email: mbowman at udcom.com
Web: http://www.udcom.com
"Best Wishes to everyone for 2003"

|--------+----------------------------------->
|        |          Sylvain Phaneuf          |
|        |          <sylvain.phaneuf at IMSU.OXF|
|        |          ORD.AC.UK>               |
|        |          Sent by: MailScanner     |
|        |          mailing list             |
|        |          <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.|
|        |          UK>                      |
|        |                                   |
|        |                                   |
|        |          12/16/2002 09:57 AM      |
|        |          Please respond to        |
|        |          MailScanner mailing list |
|        |                                   |
|--------+----------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                           |
  |      To:     MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK                                                                   |
  |      cc:                                                                                                  |
  |      Subject:     OT: /etc/aliases                                                                        |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I am a new MailScanner user and I am very impressed with it to say the
least...

Can someone help on a slightly off topic issue?  We use MailScanner to scan
mail then it relays it to our main mail server, a GroupWise system on
Netware box, with an entry in /etc/mail/mailertable. All works well. But we
would like to use the opportunity of the unix box on which MailScanner runs
to take care of some of the re-direction we need to do for people who have
left us. I am not very good with unix, but I now that in normal
circumstances, putting the entries in /etc/aliases would allow us to
re-direct the mail to the outside world. Unfortunaley, no entries in
/etc/aliases seem to work - probably because of the entry in mailertable.
Is there something I can do to be able to use /etc/aliases?

Thanks in advance.

Sylvain

Sylvain Phaneuf --- Computing Manager   | phone : +44 (0)1865 221323
Information Management Services Unit   (Clinical School)
Oxford University                               | email :
sylvain.phaneuf at imsu.ox.ac.uk
Room 3A25B John Radcliffe Hospital      | fax :  +44 (0) 1865 221322
Oxford   OX3 9DU   England