winmail.dat attahments with V3.22

Daniel Bird dbird at SGHMS.AC.UK
Mon Dec 16 14:41:42 GMT 2002

When running MailScanner V3.22 with Exim 4.05 on Solaris 8 we seem to be having trouble receiving attachments and/or formatted text from MX Exchange servers at attached NHS Trust.

The problem manifests itself in a couple of ways.

1. Emails with no attachment, sent in plain text or formatted are delivered with a winmail.dat file as an attachment
2. reply's and forwards likewise.
3. Sometimes attachments sent directly (i.e not a reply or forward) come through perfectly fine.

Now, I thought this may have something to do with the MS-TNEF encoding, so I've tried both the C version of TNEF and the perl module but both have the same result.

Headers from a problematic mail:

<5018A3F630D0AC4E82951D021084BF0BAD44 at stg1xch08.net.stgeorges.nhs.uk>

Headers from one which came through cleanly:

Now, the only thing I can see in the headers (apart from the X-MailScanner-MHS1, MXB header - they are identically configured mailhubs) is the X-MS-Has-Attach and X-MS-TNEF-Correlator headers!

Have I missed something, or miss configured? Any light shed on this would be very helpful.

PS. I am planning to upgrade to V4 (once the missing character issue is resolved! :)

TIA

Dan
____________________________________

Daniel Bird
Network and Systems Manager
Department Of Information Services
St. George's Hospital Medical School
Tooting
London SW17 0RE

P: +44 20 8725 2897
F: +44 20 8725 3583
E: dan at sghms.ac.uk

Everything is possible....except skiing through a revolving door.

believed to be clean.