SYSERR(root): readqf: cannot open ./df*

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Dec 12 19:55:32 GMT 2002

Couple of points.
1) MailScanner does indeed invoke background copies of sendmail, which why
you *sometimes* are seeing 2nd sendmail processes with a PPID=1.
2) Make sure you aren't running out of file locks. What are your settings
for the maximum message batch size? This might explain it only happening at
high load (==>big batches). If you start bash and then do a "ulimit -a" you
should get something around 4000. If you aren't then add a "ulimit -n 4000"
to the init.d script that starts MailScanner. Linux itself dynamically
creates more file locks as they are needed (I had a good dig through the
kernel source), but bash will impose a resource limit (ulimit) of its own
on its shells and sub-processes.

--
Julian Field