SYSERR(root): readqf: cannot open ./df*

Jim Levie jim at ENTROPHY-FREE.NET
Thu Dec 12 18:23:47 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 10:20, Spicer, Kevin wrote:
> I didn't really post my configuration here it is...
> Mandrake 9.0 (kernel 2.4.19)
> sendmail 8.12.6
> mailscanner 3.23
> The other oddness is that I noticed a few minutes ago that there are
> occaisionally more than two sendmail processes running (not including
> children - i.e. processess with a PPID of 1) I suspect this might be
> part of the problem - but I don't know where they are coming from!
> Does anyone know if mailscanner invokes sendmail directly?
Okay, that's probably your problem. As I recall it's the master sendmail
process, the one that is listening for SMTP connections that locks the
access.db, so a second master process is going to create a problem.

How often are you restarting MailScanner? What might be happening, if
you are using a mailscanner init script that also starts sendmail, is
that a restart of mailscanner isn't successfully killing the existing
sendmail and starting up a new sendmail so that two are running. That's
one of the reasons that I always set up a MailScanner system with one
init script for sendmail and another for MailScanner. Another reason is
that a change in the sendmail config (that requires a restart) hardly
ever requires a MailScanner restart. And since MailScanner does need to
be periodically restarted, that doesn't mean that sendmail need to be
kicked at the same time.

It's probably not a big deal on a low volume server, but on busy ones
you really don't want to be restarting thing any more often than is
absolutely, positively, required.
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat
   Jim Levie                                 email:
jim at

More information about the MailScanner mailing list