Spam List /Spam Domain List, quarantine tagging

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Dec 12 10:28:41 GMT 2002

At 09:01 12/12/2002, you wrote:
>Hello Bellow a a few questions
>
>spam listst / spam domains
>--------------------------
>
>Hello I'm a little confused on what is spam list (dnsbl)
>and what is spam domain (domain rbl) ?? below a list from
>rblcheck with lists I'm using at this moment..

Most of the RBL's in existence are IP-address based (you look up an IP
address in the list and it tells you if it thinks it is an open relay).
However, there are also lists in which you look up a domain *name* and it
tells you if it is known to be a source of spam. Most people don't use the
"spam domain" list at all, just the "spam lists" option.

>$ rblcheck -l
>relays.ordb.org         (dnsbl)
>blackholes.wirehub.net  (domain)
>dynablock.wirehub.net  (??)
>proxies.relays.monkeys.com    (dnsbl)
>formmail.relays.monkeys.com   (??)
>relays.osirusoft.com    (dnsbl)
>proxy.relays.osirusoft.com    (??)
>inputs.relays.osirusoft.com   (??)
>dialups.relays.osirusoft.com   (??)
>spamsources.relays.osirusoft.com   (??)
>spamsites.relays.osirusoft.com   (??)
>spamhaus.relays.osirusoft.com   (??)
>spews.relays.osirusoft.com   (domain)
>outputs.relays.osirusoft.com  (??)
>sbl.spamhaus.org   (??)
>list.dsbl.org  (??)
>bl.spamcop.net  (dnsbl)
>argentina.blackholes.us  (??)
>brazil.blackholes.us  (??)
>ap.rbl.cluecentral.net  (??)
>bd.rbl.cluecentral.net  (??)
>etc cluecentral lists....
>
>tagging quarantine
>
>Just noticed that there is no spam tag added
>when mail is send to the /quarantine-map/spam
>is this right could not find a seperate
>option in mail-scanner.conf.

The original message is stored in the quarantine as far as possible, so you
can retrieve the untouched message. This is "by design".
--
Julian Field