Problem on 4.10-1

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Dec 8 15:56:39 GMT 2002

At 15:50 08/12/2002, you wrote:
>I'm just installing this on a virgin Cobalt RaQ - (had all the other
>versions working fine)
>
>basically everything is set up but when I go to start up Mailscanner I get
>an error
>
>         Aborting due to syntax errors. at
>/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm line 1144
>
>looking at that line doesn't give me many clues either
>
>         MailScanner::Log::DieLog("Aborting due to syntax errors.") if
> $errors;
>
>Does anyone have any ideas - if so I'd be very grateful if you would also
>copy gavin at web-hoster.co.uk as the subscribed email address is on the box
>I'm working on which is down along with the DNS nothing to do with
>MailScanner more that we were hacked last night which has brought forward
>the new mailserver quicker than I was planning.

The syntax error is in your MailScanner.conf file. I have improved the
error message for 4.11 to make it clearer where the error is. Check your
maillog and you will find the cause of the error. The most likely is that
either you have
         PID Dir
instead of the new
         PID File
or else you haven't put in the "Language Strings" setting.
--
Julian Field