Outgoing mail problems

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Dec 6 09:10:00 GMT 2002

It's likely to be load-related. Once the load average reaches a level set
in the sendmail.cf file, sendmail will ignore requests to deliver messages
and will just queue them. MailScanner can cause a very high load figure
(though most of the processes are waiting on network input, so the figure
is misleading) and this can cause sendmail to stop delivering for a while.

Check your sendmail.cf file for the lines
O QueueLA
O RefuseLA
O DelayLA

and the "uptime" command will show your current 1 min, 5 min and 15 minute
load averages. It's the first one that matters to sendmail.

--
Julian Field