Outgoing mail problems

Thomas DuVally thomas_duvally at BROWN.EDU
Thu Dec 5 21:07:51 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 06:48, Julian Field wrote:

> MailScanner is not involved in the delivery of mail at all, except for
> telling sendmail to try delivering messages it has scanned (when using
> "Delivery Method = batch").
>
> Once the messages are in /var/spool/mqueue, they are sendmail's problem,
> not MailScanner's.

Right, but how are we sure that mailscanner is telling sendmail about
them all?  I've been noticing in v4.10-1 that occasionally one or two
messages (out of 100) are getting left in the outgoing queue, and they
are all local delivery that sendmail has not even attempted yet.  The
logs don't show sendmail knowing anything about them.

I run a couple of cleanup scripts that will eventually attempt to
deliver them, but I think they got forgotten, rather than defered.

> --
> Julian Field
> www.MailScanner.info
Thomas J. DuVally