4.10-1: Cannot create + lock headers file ...

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Thu Dec 5 14:01:18 GMT 2002

Julian

Running MailScanner 4.10-1 on a RedHat 7.2 system with Sendmail.

It is built from the Unix (non-RPM) tar ball in the same way we have
done for all the previos versions.

Whenever I do a "/etc/init.d/MailScanner restart" I get a message of the
form:

"Cannot create + lock headers file
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/28837/gB5123456123.header, at
/opt/MailScanner/bin/MailScanner/Message.pm line 237".

The process-ID/sendmail-ID changes each time and a "ps -ef | grep Mail"
shows a child MailScanner process ID different from the one given in the
error message.

Otherwise MailScanner seems to be running OK as far as initial testing
shows.

However I was a little bit surprised that the "Archive Mail" option
requires that the sub-directories of /var/spool/MailScanner/archive that
are specified in the ruleset must already be created rather than being
created the first time a message has to be stored under it. You create
the date sub-dircetory under that on the fly so why not the parent
dircetory?

Related to this option is that I note that "archived" messages are
stored in separate "df" and "qf" files, presumably because I have
"Quarantine Whole Messages As Queue Files = no" (the default). I would
want that behaviour if I was quarantining messages but I want the qf &
df file combined into one when I am "archiving".

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Computing Service, University of Newcastle
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.