Exim support in 4.10-1

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Dec 4 10:27:33 GMT 2002

At 00:15 04/12/2002, you wrote:
>On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 10:59, Julian Field wrote:
> script or

> > >Just did that and no complaints now. However, it appears that the
> > >initscript, MailScanner, is specific for sendmail. Is there one for
> > >Exim? I had previously hacked one from MS 3.25 to work with Exim.
> >
> > No, sorry, haven't done that bit yet. Your 3.25 one will probably still
> > work with 4.10.
>
>The problem I'm having now is that when I start check_MailScanner I get:
>
>Starting virus scanner...
>Cannot open config file /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf, Permission
>denied at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm line 294.
>
>MailScanner is run as exim.exim and the permissions for the 2 files are:
>
>-rw-r--r--  1 root  root  33577 Dec  3 13:44 MailScanner.conf
>
>and
>
>-rw-r--r--  1 root  root  49216 Dec  3 01:41
>/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm
>
>In MS V3xx, this was sufficient permission for MailScanner.conf. Where
>else should I look?

You will need to make the config files owned by (or at least writable by)
exim.exim.
MailScanner needs to place an exclusive lock on each of the config files,
so that you can have another script (possibly linked to a web-based
configuration system) can update the config files while MailScanner is
running, safe in the knowledge that you can't be half-way through writing a
config file at the same time as MailScanner is reading it.
In order to get an exclusive lock on a file, the file must be opened for
writing.
--
Julian Field