Outgoing mail problems

Lush, Richard Richard.Lush at HP.COM
Mon Dec 2 12:04:17 GMT 2002

Are you seeing any errors in your log files?  Look for something like
relay blocked, should be in /var/log/messages (I think).

You may (probably will) have to play with the sendmail configuration.
(I have the same problem where mail being sent local from some
applications is being blocked but haven't got round to fixing it yet, I
used a different SMTP server as a quick fix as I am not a sendmail
admin.  (I know, I really should fix it and learn sendmail!)

If anyone know what the fix is....  I thought it was the domain settings
or the access file but changes to these didn't make any difference.

Richard

(I run RH8 as well)

-----Original Message-----
From: Huw Wyn Jones [mailto:huw at PIODEN.NET]
Sent: 02 December 2002 11:36
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Outgoing mail problems

Hi,

I've just set-up MailScanner 4.05-3 from RPM on a RH8 box running
Sendmail and F-prot (Dual P3 1GHz., 768Mb RAM). Load is really light -
no more than a few hundred e-mails a day at the mo. Incoming mail seems
to be perfect - 100% success. Problem is that some outgoing e-mails get
sent OK through the system - others seem to disappear into a queue and
not get sent at all. Can anybody suggest what might be wrong ?

The only mail which will be sent through the system is generated by apps
on the server i.e. BBS's, mailing lists, webmail etc. as SMTP sending
has been locked down as a security measure. Considering the
configuration we could probably get away with not scanning outgoing mail
at all - is there a way to bypass MailScanner for outgoing only ?

I'm a noob to the world of mail serving so pls excuse any really dumb
questions.

Regards

Huw