A couple or three simple question (Aren't they always)

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Aug 21 21:38:11 IST 2002

At 21:08 21/08/2002, you wrote:
>Could you tell me if their is an easy way to tell which version of
>Mailscanner we are running ? This may sound like strange question but I
>didn't install the software and the person who did has moved on and I
>can't contact him.

It logs its version number in your maillog on startup. If you installed
from the rpm distribution you can just do "rpm -q mailscanner".

>If we are running an older version is it just a matter of stopping
>mailscanner replacing a main mailscanner scipt in the bin directory and
>restarting it ?

No. You will need to install the new version of all of the bin directory,
and then compare your mailscanner.conf file with the new one to ensure you
set appropriate values for all the new configuration options.

>And lastly, mailscanner seems to be running as I sent myself the eicar
>test virus and got the alerts but none of our messages get the usual
>signiture of
>
>"This message has been scanned for viruses and
>believed to be clean."
>Did the person who installed this turn it off or what should I check or do
>I have another problem to solve with your help possibly

Look for "Sign Clean Messages" in your mailscanner.conf file.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ