Problem when shut/start sendmail and mailscanner

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Aug 16 22:17:53 IST 2002

Exactly what are the filenames left behind?

If they start with a capital letter, they are partly-received messages that
sendmail was reading when it was killed.

The messages are re-sent completely when sendmail starts up again. These
files can be safely deleted, as can zero-length "qf" files, and "df" files
with no corresponding "qf" file. "tf" files with no corresponding "qf" file
can be renamed to "qf".

What all that boils down to is this:
MailScanner will pick up completely delivered messages (qf and df pairs of
files). Anything else will be ignored.

At 21:53 16/08/2002, you wrote:
>When I shutdown sendmail and mailscanner the files remaining in the
>mqueue.in directory aren´t processed when I start sendmail/mailscanner
>again.
>The mailscanner start a new sequence of files in mqueue.in directory and
>ignore the old files.

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ