Sendmail outgoing failed even when it starts ok?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Aug 15 23:43:28 IST 2002

The init.d scripts need to be different for all the different versions of
RedHat :-(
The best way to check it has all stopped completely is to do a
         ps ax | grep mail
This will show up MailScanner and sendmail processes, and of course there
should be none when MailScanner is completely stopped.
If you see any processes (apart from the "grep mail" process) then you can
just kill them.

At 19:28 15/08/2002, you wrote:
>Darnit! Its nice that all this stuff installs great with redhat 7.3 and
>7.2 but when i do this on a 6.2 (with perl 5.6.1) all kinds odd crap happens.
>I start mailscanner and get all ok's I stop mailscanner and still get all
>ok's.
>
>BUT when i use the status flag i get
>MailScanner             ok
>incoming sendmail    ok
>outgoing sendmail    Failed
>
>I do a restart and I get all six OK's. (3 down) (3 up)
>strange, but has anyone run into this?
>
>Matt Doherty
>IT Dept
>Datawatch Corp
>
> >>In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?<<

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ