trying to integrate postfix

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Aug 13 18:36:44 IST 2002

Support for Postfix is currently on the feature wish-list. Your solution
should work, it's possible Nick can come up with a better one, but I would
quite happily integrate yours into the code in the mean time (Nick is very
busy working on some other projects at the moment, and I'm spending all my
free time OO-ising MailScanner).

I look forward to your contribution with interest, once you've proved it
all works nicely. How much overhead does it add per message? Starting up
perl for each message is quite expensive...

At 18:16 13/08/2002, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to stitch pieces together to integrate MailScanner into
>Postfix.  I pretty sure I have an adequate model.
>
>Here's the model: postfix receives a message via smtp.  Rather than
>processing it as a normal message, postfix pipes it to a command.  This
>command digests the message into H and D files and deposits it in a
>queue directory, ready for a good working-over by MailScanner.
>MailScanner then kicks the messages out through the postfix
>local-delivery channel.
>
>I believe that I am 98% of the way to a usable solution, using two
>programs (enspool.pl and despool.pl, which take messages from postfix
>and give messages back to postfix, respectively) and adding extra code
>to mta-specific.pl to handle the changes.  I called the new MTA code
>"generic" since I believe that it will be generally applicable (but I
>could be wrong ;-).  It is working now on a test server, but I have not
>fielded it yet.
>
>Does this seem like a reasonable way to handle the MailScanner/Postfix
>interface?  Would anybody like to take a look at it to ensure I haven't
>missed anything painfully obvious?
>

>Thanks,
>Leland

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ