trying to integrate postfix

Leland J. Steinke steinkel at PA.NET
Tue Aug 13 18:16:48 IST 2002

Hello,

I'm trying to stitch pieces together to integrate MailScanner into
Postfix.  I pretty sure I have an adequate model.

Here's the model: postfix receives a message via smtp.  Rather than
processing it as a normal message, postfix pipes it to a command.  This
command digests the message into H and D files and deposits it in a
queue directory, ready for a good working-over by MailScanner.
MailScanner then kicks the messages out through the postfix
local-delivery channel.

I believe that I am 98% of the way to a usable solution, using two
programs (enspool.pl and despool.pl, which take messages from postfix
and give messages back to postfix, respectively) and adding extra code
to mta-specific.pl to handle the changes.  I called the new MTA code
"generic" since I believe that it will be generally applicable (but I
could be wrong ;-).  It is working now on a test server, but I have not
fielded it yet.

Does this seem like a reasonable way to handle the MailScanner/Postfix
interface?  Would anybody like to take a look at it to ensure I haven't
missed anything painfully obvious?

Thanks,
Leland