Logging question

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at civ.utwente.nl
Tue Aug 13 13:16:12 IST 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:08:22 +0100, you wrote:

>> Considering the new plans in Europe ISP's will have to archive
>> everything (for 5 or 7 years).
>
>"may", not "will". Nothing is definite yet. FWIW I think the final
>figure is likely to be a multiple of months, not years.

Last week I talked with representatives of the dutch ISP assosation and
they are working on trying to convince the government to cancel this
whole operation. The government had something in mind like the taxes
where you must keep all records for 5 years. They thought it wouldn't be
that difficult to keep all and every traffic (not just e-mail but
everything going over the network) for that amount of years.

I told to refer to the vaults they built for storing the Euro's before
january 1. And where they now keep the old guilders. These vaults
wouldn't be big enough to keep the DVD with the traffic of a whole
month.

And consider the traffic jams of all the trucks delivering the DVD's to
the vault.

--
Peter Peters
senior netwerkbeheerder,  Centrum voor Informatievoorziening,