sendmail log altered

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at civ.utwente.nl
Wed Aug 7 13:40:26 IST 2002

On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 13:31:52 +0200, you wrote:

>>I see thousands of "stand-alone" to= lines. They are generated bij the
>>sendmail processing the queue. You can find these lines allways after
>>the MailScanner lines where he tells he has processed a number of
>>messages from mqueue.in.
>>
>>The sendmail accepting the connections should still generate from= and
>>to= lines. Mine is. You can find them before the MailScanner lines.
>>
>>If you stop both MailScanner and the sendmail processing the queue
>>(leaving only the queueonly-sendmail) you should check whether that
>>sendmail logs connections (you can try it yourself if you don't get
>>connections that often).
>
>done. it only logs to: lines, and no from: lines.

I have never seen sendmail only log the to='s and not the from='s when
another system connects. You are sure you killed the correct sendmail?
You can verify that by looking in /var/spool/mqueue.in and
/var/spool/mqueue. The /var/spool/mqueue.in dir should grow when
messages enter your system and the /var/spool/mqueue dit should stay the
same.

When you start MailScanner you should observe /var/spool/mqueue.in
becoming empty (if no new messages are delivered) and /var/spool/mqueue
should get filled.

Check from what dir the messages are delivered when you try a
/usr/sbin/sendmail -v -q -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in
(ofcourse the messages will not be scanned)

With
/usr/sbin/sendmail -v -q -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue
you can check whether the scanned messages get delivered.

--
Peter Peters
senior netwerkbeheerder,  Centrum voor Informatievoorziening,