Sendmail 8.9.3 ==> 8.12.x & MailScanner

S Mohan smohan at VSNL.COM
Mon Aug 5 16:34:00 IST 2002

I used Sendmail 8.11-6 and mailscanner 3.20. Works on standard install
for me. If your problem had something to do with load, it may be very
specific.

Mohan

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Lee Garner
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 8:34 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Sendmail 8.9.3 ==> 8.12.x & MailScanner

Hi,

I'm currently running MailScanner 3.22-7 with Sendmail 8.9.3 and am
occasionally experiencing the "Failed to link message body between
queues" problem presumably because that version of Sendmail generates
message-ids based on the PID of the Sendmail process, and during slow
periods a given Sendmail child instance can process multiple messages
with the same QID in the queue filename(s).  (Or something like that.)

Anyway, to get rid of the problem I'd like to upgrade Sendmail to one of
the more(most) recent versions, say 8.12.<something>.

I'm curious if there are any "gotchas" waiting around the corner once I
try the newer Sendmail with MailScanner.  One little item I read in the
Sendmail release notes concerning moving queue files around sounded like
it could be a problem in conjunction with MailScanner (the release notes
item talked about Sendmail "moving files back to where they are supposed
to be").

Would appreciate any heads-ups from anyone who has already
been down this path.

Thanks,

 - Lee

------+
lee.garner at fsu.edu  |
| Academic Computing & Network Services      | Fax:       850-644-8722
|
| Florida State University                   | Voice:     850-644-2591
|
| Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2760  USA       | Teleport:  30°25'34N,
84°19'32W|