f-prot linux workstation version

Kurt Yoder kylist at SHCORP.COM
Tue Apr 23 14:30:23 IST 2002

Paul Welsh said:
>> Date:    Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:41:08 -0400
>> From:    Kurt Yoder <kylist at SHCORP.COM>
>> Subject: f-prot linux workstation version
>>
>> I just bought f-prot antivirus scanner for linux workstation. It was
>> 80$, and no "per-mailbox protected" licensing schemes as with
>> mcafee/sophos. It
>>
>> 1. I wanted to let people know f-secure works and is *cheap*,
>> especially
> for
>> thousands of users/mailboxes
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but  presumably you are running this on a
> server and not a workstation.  Therefore, you should buy the server
> version of f-prot.

One would think so. However, I asked the f-prot employee about it and she
said that it's fine to buy the workstation license for my purposes. I
specifically mentioned that I'd be scanning email for many mailboxes.
Apparently, the only difference between server and workstation is some kind
of "central management" that's built into the server version but not the
workstation version.

> To deliberately buy a workstation version and run it on a server might
> be a cheap way of doing things, but it's breaking the spirit if not the
> letter of your licence agreement and it's not what an IT professional
> should be doing.

I agree; see above...

> Anyhow, the f-prot web site
> (http://www.f-prot.com/f-prot/products/fplin.html) refers to only 3
> licence options for its Linux product:
>
> 1. F-Prot Linux for Small Business, $300 per server.  I'm using this
> with MailScanner.
> 2. A free version of F-Prot Linux for Small Business for "personal"
> users "when used on personal workstations".
> 3. F-Prot Linux for Enterprise Business, $450 per server.

Apparently I ended up buying F-secure, which someone else has told me is a
different product made by a different company than F-prot. OK... I don't
know why the F-prot salesperson would have directed me to this product, but
she did, and it works fine, costs very little, etc. Maybe I was talking to
someone from F-secure all along... dunno...

--
Kurt Yoder
Sport & Health network administrator