Wrong body with wrong headers!!! ?

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Oct 22 16:22:58 IST 2001

At 16:08 22/10/2001, you wrote:
>   I have a situation I have never seen before.  I am running sendmail
>8.9.3 in conjunction with mailscanner and sophos which I just intalled less
>than a month ago to try out.  A user sent a message that became queued for
>one reason or another.  The next day, another message came into the system
>and took the same id number as the one that was queued (which I thought was
>impossible).  The body of the message of the original sender was then sent
>via the new headers to the new address.  I have no idea what happened to
>the new body (perhaps simply lost).   Hence, a message was delivered to the
>wrong destination because the process ID's cycled around in less than 24
>hours.    How is this possible?  Is this the fault of sendmail or
>mailscanner or AIX?

It's a sendmail fault. It shouldn't have given 2 messages the same message
ID. Later versions of sendmail solved this problem by completely changing
the way they allocated message IDs so it cannot now allocate the same
message ID twice in less than about 60 years.

Never seen sendmail do this one before...
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ